Butterflies and Bruises


I hope you all had the best Valentine's Day ever yesterday!

With all the expectations and pressure that exist around February 14th, I found myself talking to friends yesterday about their best and their worst V-Day experiences. They were too good to not share (minus all names and identities of course). 

Whenever someone asks me if I want good news or bad news first - I always take the bad first so in keeping with that belief, let's start with the worst Valentine's:

"Sophomore year of college my old boyfriend had just got a new girlfriend, but still sent me a card in the mail. After consuming a whole bag of mini butterfingers and drinking too much and being generally sad - I got home to discover this army boy I had been on one date with had broken into my room and made me a very creepy scavenger hunt that ended in the DVD player with a super cheesy George Clooney, Catherine Zeta-Jones movie and his phone number. The name of the movie was "Intolerable Cruelty". He had left creepy hints everywhere, "Look under where you rest your head while having sweet dreams" was one of them. My roommate tried to get me to call him - but I would rather have spent every Valentine's day until the end of time alone then go on another terrifying scavenger hunt."

"I was in the 11th grade. I was soo excited to receive a teddy bear and chocolates from my crush. However, I found out about 3 hours later that he gave his ex girlfriend the same gift and had stolen all the teddies and Russell Stovers from the grocery store where he worked as a bag boy."

"When an ex sent me a box of cheap drugstore valentine's day chocolates in a box with no card or anything post cheating on me." 

"One year instead of flowers I was told, 'I spent money on flowers for your birthday two weeks ago!'."

This one is a combo of the best and worst Valentine's day ever:

"So the guy I was dating and I got in a fight the night before Valentine's day because I was supposed to sleep over because my bed-mate (yes, bed-mate) had her boyfriend staying over. Then the guy I was seeing changed his mind about having me sleep over - leaving me high and dry on the couch watching the series finale of six feet under (NOT a good thing to watch while in a delicate emotional space.) The next day was V-Day and we worked together but didn't speak at all, and I spent the night getting drunk with my roommate in a bathrobe at the kitchen table making him listen to me sing all the Whitney Houston songs I knew while we watched a happy couple paint a stump. So in the end, it was awesome. Oh, and if you want more details on why I couldn't sleep over - it was because he said 'The bed was too small.'"

 And to leave you on a good note for your weekend - the best Valentine's days ever:

"When we all went to the Squealing Pig and saw The Van Burens and you ordered mars bar toasties for everyone in the bar."

"The year my Mom sent me a chocolate laptop"

"Some of the best Valentine's were definitely elementary school when you had a "mailbox" that was full to the brim with valentines, lollipops and chocolates. I miss those days - everyone had AT LEAST 20 valentines"

"This year - I got some awesome flowers and am going out to a nice dinner." 

"Best Valentine's day was a first date. I was cooked a home-made meal of filet mignon, acorn squash and sauteed spinach paired with a glass of Cabernet. Following dinner we watched trashy TV and shared our first kiss :)"

XO 
A

1 comment: